Monday 28 June 2010

Who did capture that Eagle

Waterloo Medal-1815 (Lieut. George Gunning, 1stor Royal Dragoons.), original steel clip and ring suspension, light
edge bruise and some contact marks, otherwise good very fine Value Estimate £6,000-8,000

Lieutenant George Gunning; Ensign 17 th Foot 1804;Commanded Grenadier Company, 9th Foot at Vimiera; transferred
Lieutenant 1 st Dragoons, 1809; served in Captain Methuen’s 7th Troop, during the Waterloo Campaign (wounded) and led his troop
in the charge of the Union Brigade; he was also a claimant for killing the Officer in charge of the colour party bearing the Eagle
Of the 105th Regiment of Line, which was subsequently captured.

The Taking of the Eagle of French 105 th Ligne There is a certain amount of controversy surrounding the capture
of the 105th’ Eagle, with two claimants from the same regiment  contesting the honour, the first being Captain A. K.  Clark 1 st
Dragoons (later Lieutenant General), and the other being Corporal  F. Stiles (later Ensign 6 th West India Regiment).

At Waterloo, shortly before 2 p.m., the 105th as part of d’Erlon’s corps, advanced to attack Picton’s division. The 1 st Dragoons
Charged, and pushed back the French column thus exposing the Eagle. It is at this point that Clark laid his claim that it was he who
Spotted the Eagle being rushed back towards safety, and that it was he who charged forward to kill the officer guarding the Eagle.
He stipulated that as the standard fell to the ground he ordered  Corporal Stiles to secure it and carry it back to the rear.

Corporal  Stiles, however, contended that he captured the Eagle,after being given an order to attack it by his troop commander

Lieutenant Gunning.
Colonel Clifton (the commanding officer of the 1st Dragoons at the start of the battle), ordered an investigation into the affair. This
Enquiry continued into 1816 when Clifton sent for Stiles, informing him that he needed witnesses to substantiate his claim. As a result
of this Stiles wrote to his former troop commander Lieutenant  Gunning,

“Sir,
This day Colonel Clifton sent for me about the taking the Eagle and  Colours. He asked me if I had any person that see me take the
Eagle, I told him that you see me, I believe, as the officer of the  French was making away with it. I belonged to your troop at that
Time, and you gave me orders to charge him, which I did, and took it from him. When I stated it to him this day, he wants to know the
Particulars about it, and me to rite to you for you to state to him   how it was. I would thank you to rite to the Colonel as you was the
Nearest officer to me that day. Sir, by so doing, you will much  oblige. Stiles was twice promoted as a result of his claim, whereas Clark
did not receive anything directly for his claimed actions, this would   suggest that the powers that be recognised Stiles’ claim, which
was further supported by Gunning himself when he wrote to Major  General Sir H. Torens (22.2.1816),

“Sir,
It being believed that some military honour may be conferred in   consequence of the Eagles taken at the ever-memorable Battle of
Waterloo, induces me to state, for the consideration of his Royal  Highness the Commander-in-Chief, that it was by my orders that
Sergeant Stiles secured the Eagle of the 105th Regiment of French Infantry. I am enabled to prove this fact by Sergeant Stiles’ letter to
Me of the 31st ult. a copy of which I have the honour to enclose. I should have made this statement before, but my extreme ill state
of health, in consequence of my wounds received at the Battle of  Waterloo, has caused me to be absent from my regiment, and I did
Not consider it consistent to write to a Sergeant for the particulars   which he has now unsolicited sent to me. I have heard that other
claims are about to be made relative to the Eagle taken by   Sergeant Stiles; his letter proves most clearly it was by my orders he
Did secure the Eagle, and as no other officer was near me at   the time, I gave the order. I hope his Royal Highness, the
Commander-in-Chief, will consider that it was owing to my orders the Eagle was captured from the enemy; as had I acted differently
to what I did at that critical moment, I think the Eagle would not  have been taken from the enemy, which, by a personal interview, I
Think I could explain fully to the satisfaction of his Royal Highness.”

This remained unacceptable to Clark, who was twice wounded at  Waterloo, and during the next 23 years he made a further 10
Official complaints. Gunning added another note of controversy by later claiming in “Documents of the Gunning Family” (privately
Published in 1834), that it was he who killed the French officer in charge of the Colours. Whatever conclusions can be drawn from
This action, it is likely that in the heat of the battle several    individuals may have contributed to the capturing of the Eagle.

By my reading of this evidence Stiles took the Standard  , Gunning then killed the Standard bearer , and Clark who came upon the seen 
Ordered Stiles to the rear with the  Eagle  Claiming OFFICER Privilege  

18 comments:

  1. Now this should put the Cat among the Eagles

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all the confusion I couldn't really say who captured the thing.
    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting story, and like you paddy, who did capture it in the end. it seems as if Stiles was taking the glory for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi chaps, I think this is a bit of embellishment to add value to Lt Gunning's Waterloo Medal when it came up for sale at auction. All the evidence, & there is much of it, points to Captain Clark who killed the French Ensign but was about to hack the Eagle of the pole when Corporal Stiles, who was Clark's cover man, asked his Captain to preserve it. Clark then handed it to Stiles & was ordered off the field. He was seen by many senior officers, including Wellington, & as a result it was thought he had captured the Eagle during the charge. Another story related by the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons states that in fact the 105th French Infantry Eagle was captured by one of their Sergeants - so it goes on. I think the best book on the subject is Attack the Colour! The Royal Dragoons in the Peninsula and at Waterloo by A.E. Clark-Kennedy. London: Research Publishing Co., 1975

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read it again slowley .
    Stiles took the Eagle .
    Gunning came up behind and Killed the Officer
    Clarke told Stiles to the Rear

    ReplyDelete
  6. According to the written records Gunning DID NOT kill the officer Captain Clark did. This is what he wrote in a letter dated Leeds, July 14th, 1839 "... I ran my sword into the Officer's right side a little above the hip joint. He was a little to my left side, and he fell to that side with the Eagle across my horse's head. ..." The Regimental History by De Ainslie & C.T. Atkinson both concurred that Clark had captured the Eagle & killed the ensign who was carrying it. Styles did indeed taken the Eagle as ordered by Clark after he had secured it. Styles was later commissioned for his service at Waterloo & Clark went on to become Lt General Sir Alexander Kennedy Clark & his arms included the Eagle & Colour of the French 105th Infantry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well in all the confusion of battle the exact truth will never be fully known.So the fairest way is for the glory to be shared by all taking part,as no one person could have done the whole thing alone!
    And for your information Derek may not have been at Waterloo,but just outside of Detmold there is a village named "Leese" - and that is fact!
    -------
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny I remember that village sign.
    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am having problems with this site and in fact have had for some time. Whenever I reply to or comment on anything, that message or whatever, dissappears. I'm concerned that those who might expect a reply from me will think that I'm an ignorant so-and-so for not doig so. Please help.
    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paddy I have not heard of anyone having the problem that you say you are having, your replies always seem to come up on the site, I am sure no one will think that you are ignorant as we all know that you always have an answer when you think it is fitting to reply.

    Johnie68

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well at least 105's been in good hands for the past one hundred and ninety-five years, unlike those that got 'lost' or were melted down?.......Just don't let George Osborne get his hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike well done,thanks for a good piece of history Don 190.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A couple of times I sent an item in,but for some reason it disappeared,but on the whole no problems.
    ------
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paddy try pressing reply then type message then submit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don its was part of the Marshal plan. never heard of leese / lend

    ReplyDelete
  16. I drove through the village of "Leese"a short while ago,nothing odd about it,but they did seem to have a lot of fine strapping 40-50 years olds in bowlers?
    --------
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well 50 + in Bowlers , in Leese land mit dir Leadher Hosen wiat one is getting a signal
    ver est mine Kinder allocation ,

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.